My blog has moved into Beta!



Please note that my blog has changed addresses! It's all new and improved. Hence this old friend of mine had to be left alone. You can visit me at The Last Word (beta). It's all warmed up for you! :)

« Home

Something for everyone!Google results, spam king?Related Posts Automatic Searcher ScriptCategorizing Helper Greasemonkey ScriptWhat works best?100th Post!Censoring the internetThe Link FieldGoogle SyncLatest Updated!  »





How many times has your browser session crashed, and you've managed to lose the post you've been working on for the last 2 hours; perfecting and decorating? Doesn't it just make you wanna throw your computer out of the window? Well, its happened to me quite a bunch of times. Being in India, the electricity just goes off without any notice, and since I don't have a UPS, everything goes in an instant. So I set out to find a way of auto-saving my posts as I type them out.

At first I thought of exploiting Blogger itself, but sending regular pings to their Save as Draft address with the post details, but unfortunately that didn't work, since I ended up tons of saved drafts. Apparently Blogger doesn't do a del.icio.us, i.e. look for an existing post with the posted details and overwrite that one. So, I needed a local solution. My recent trysts with greasemonkey is making me do weird things with it. Though this was supposed to be just for me, I thought "Oh well! What the heck!"

So, here I am releasing my home-made recipe for avoiding those pitfalls. Grab the script from userscripts.org, I'd like to call it Auto-save Last Blogger Post! :)

Usage

The script auto saves your posts content every 30 characters entered. This means that you will lose your old post if you write 30 characters of your new post, since the script will overwrite the previous posts content with the new content. This will add a Return Data link which you can use to retrieve your post. So no more getting worried about losing your posts! :)

Thanks to Shikha for giving it a small initial test ride and the feedback to give it a final tweak! :) Hope you guys enjoy it too!

[Update]: Using the Bon Echo pre-release tester for a couple of weeks now, I've realized that the in-built session saver saves text-area content and forms as well. That feature makes this a little redundant, but this can be further extended now that the basic functionality has been established! :)


7 Comments

THANK YOU! I tried something similar last week, but just ended up hitting the wall and going on to more 'fun' projects. This will get installed before my next post with Blogger. I hate losing work!

Haha! You're more than welcome Steve! :) I aim to please!

Thanks for this great script.Installed it and it will be of great use during those special occassions when Firefox crashes.

hehe thx for the mention :P
i enjoyed ur script too!
not much that i did though :)

Another nice one Aditya! You are quite prolific these days.
    Anonymous Anonymous, on Thu Jun 22, 11:13:00 PM  

You've nudged the beast!! *Muahahahahaha*
:: ahem! ::

Thanks! :)

beast.....


ummmm




Leave your comment
You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

Or you can sign in as a different user.







Categories

Latest Updated

Subscriptions

Get My Blog In Your Mail!

Powered by Yutter

add this button to your site/blog as a link to this page! « link to me!
coComments my coComments
my claimID

subscribe to feed
Widgetize!
Google Reader add to google
del.icio.us The Last Word add to del.icio.us
Add to My Yahoo! add to yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines add to bloglines
add to msn
Add to netvibes add to Netvibes!
myFeedster add to feedster
Furl The Last Word add to furl


Archive Pages
January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006

Advertisement


Song Of The Day:




Creative Commons License Widgetize!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Aditya Mukherjee © 2005-06 | Powered by Blogger