My blog has moved into Beta!



Please note that my blog has changed addresses! It's all new and improved. Hence this old friend of mine had to be left alone. You can visit me at The Last Word (beta). It's all warmed up for you! :)

« Home

100th Post!Censoring the internetThe Link FieldGoogle SyncLatest Updated!Internet Wars: Watchya talking' about?Why not use favicons?A face in the crowdStatic Vs. DynamicGoogle Search API, now in AJAX  »





There's a discussion going on at Performancing about what really pulls in people to blogs. Whether its the link backs, or just plain and simple content. I have just come out of the stint of getting people to notice my blog, and now can boast a good readership in the 30s (Feedburner statistics). So I'd really like to give my two bits on this little topic that a lot of new blogger's ask. How do we pull people in to see our blog? But first, a little word on content vs. links!

Content Vs. Links

I believe links are a temporary way of getting people in when you start a blog. If you link to people and their posts, you'll see them come in to check what you wrote. However, you want them to come back, and keep coming back. For that, there's nothing better than content. Nobody wants to read something which is not good to read. It doesn't have to be a hot topic, or full of pictures of half naked girls (although those work brilliantly as well!). All it has to be is something that you know about. The person reading it should think that yes, this fellow knows something about what he's writing. Only then will they give any credit to your opinions and what you write.

Design / Look

I'll probably hear a few groans the moment I mention design. Yes! I am going at it again. The look and feel of your blog comes probably only second to the content. If things don't look right or with the right colours, few will give you feedback to change it. Others will simply ignore it. But there will be some who won't return. But it depends on the person. For example, for me the design plays a very important part for the blog. I'd never go to an ugly looking page. Most of the time if the content is good, I'll subscribe to its feed, but if there is no feed, I'd probably never go back to it.

I'm sure I don't think too differently than others.

Word of mouth / Advertising

This is something that works wonders if done right. Some shameless promoting wouldn't do you any harm. Write posts about whats currently going on, and then put links to them in related discussions. People always like new stuff, and chances are if they're coming all the way, they'll see more than just that one post. If they like what they see, they'll tell others about it (if they think its worth their time) which will bring in more people. Its not the best way to do things, but hey! It works! :)

The last word

Content is supreme when it comes to pulling in people, backed with a killer design and then some self promotion to just get the ball rolling. These are probably the best ways of bringing in people to a new blog, which promises a good read every now and then. Not every blog can be a Techcrunch, mind you. But nobody stopped you from trying!


0 Comments




Leave your comment
You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

Or you can sign in as a different user.







Categories

Latest Updated

Subscriptions

Get My Blog In Your Mail!

Powered by Yutter

add this button to your site/blog as a link to this page! « link to me!
coComments my coComments
my claimID

subscribe to feed
Widgetize!
Google Reader add to google
del.icio.us The Last Word add to del.icio.us
Add to My Yahoo! add to yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines add to bloglines
add to msn
Add to netvibes add to Netvibes!
myFeedster add to feedster
Furl The Last Word add to furl


Archive Pages
January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006

Advertisement


Song Of The Day:




Creative Commons License Widgetize!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Aditya Mukherjee © 2005-06 | Powered by Blogger