My blog has moved into Beta!



Please note that my blog has changed addresses! It's all new and improved. Hence this old friend of mine had to be left alone. You can visit me at The Last Word (beta). It's all warmed up for you! :)

« Home

Guess who's back?The season of hiatusesGoogle motto: Simplify everything!The day after yesterdayBlogger relaunch, more stuff that caught my eye!The great Blogger relaunch, part deux!Google planning server farm in IndiaAn IDE is what we need!The modern revolutionAsynchronous Backlinks!  »





Being in college for about a month and half now, I have been able to understand what the difference between an adhoc programmer and a programmer who thinks is. I've also understood some parts of where to focus on when you're actually making a usable application, if you think that the application will come under heavy use by a lot of different people! I know I have made quite a few posts on how the design and the visual aspect of your blog should be appealing and good, but here, I'm going to slightly deviate from my preaching, and going to stick with giving my opinion only till the blog aspect, as I believe that people will want information only till where it helps their blog! :)

When people set out to make their blog, it's easy to go for the visual styles and make it one of the the most attractive (visually) blogs around. However, there are too many blogs that I've seen which lack from a proper base from the functional point of view. There will be times when a simple thing such as a search for posts will be missing. Thankfully, the sudden focus on categories and tags pushed people to implement them for their own blogs, otherwise for a good amount of time, I had seen good blogs lacking this basic organising feature. And these are the kind of things that actually make a blog particularly usable. A site which lacks visual appeal but makes up for it by offering myriad traversing and searching features, will (in my opinion) attract more viewers than a non-functional but good looking site.

There are quite a few hacks which work towards strengthening the above mentioned things on your blog. I can try and list out the few must haves that I think you should include in your code:

These are surely not all the ones you need, but I've been away for quite a while, hence don't know which are the ones that have come up newly. Feel free to refer me to the new hacks that have come up, and if I think they fit my definition of a back-end hack, I'll add it to that list! :)


0 Comments




Leave your comment
You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

Or you can sign in as a different user.







Categories

Latest Updated

Subscriptions

Get My Blog In Your Mail!

Powered by Yutter

add this button to your site/blog as a link to this page! « link to me!
coComments my coComments
my claimID

subscribe to feed
Widgetize!
Google Reader add to google
del.icio.us The Last Word add to del.icio.us
Add to My Yahoo! add to yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines add to bloglines
add to msn
Add to netvibes add to Netvibes!
myFeedster add to feedster
Furl The Last Word add to furl


Archive Pages
January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006

Advertisement


Song Of The Day:




Creative Commons License Widgetize!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Aditya Mukherjee © 2005-06 | Powered by Blogger