My blog has moved into Beta!



Please note that my blog has changed addresses! It's all new and improved. Hence this old friend of mine had to be left alone. You can visit me at The Last Word (beta). It's all warmed up for you! :)

« Home

I love Macs, but...Where go the hacks?I'm still standing!Blogger Hacking :: Going MultipleDigg 3.0! Amore!Blogger Hacking :: Taming the METABlogger HackingThe 'World Cup' cometh to Firefox!Microsoft teams up with Creative CommonsAutomatic Blogger Post Saver  »





I really don't know what to say about this! Definitely a much needed upgrade to the now age-ing hack, this spanned out of someone giving me an offhand feedback (I don't remember at the moment who it was, but thanks!). I managed to work it up because of my latest fascination with PHP and Ning. But just to make things clear, I am not releasing this as a public hack. This is to add functionality on this blog, a feature showcase that it can be done and to show a few people that hackers are still ahead! :)

Native Search Suggest is to Native Search for Google Suggest is to Google search. It feeds off people using it on the blog, and becomes more useful the more it's used. As you start typing your search terms, a list of matching search terms will pop up that people have been searching for on the blog, which you can select using your cursor keys or mouse. In time, I'll add the display of frequency of searches made per term as well. That should tell you which are the most hot terms on the blog! :) Terms which don't return any results are not suggested, and any additions are reflected immediately! Suggestions are sorted by frequency of their use (thanks to Stephen for the code!)

I was quite surprised when Google didn't include a suggest in their AJAX Search API, and well, I'm an impatient guy. So I decided to add it for myself. That makes it Google AJAX Search 0 - 1 Native Search! I must admit, I'll release this as a hack if enough people request it, because it'll need some extra bit of work which I won't put in unless I see people interested.

Effects courtesy of Script.aculo.us by Thomas Fuchs, and Ning for hosting my PHP. Go ahead, give it a whirl!


10 Comments

Sweet hack, keep up the great work

AWESOME !! Incredible 'tweak' to the hack !

hmm... but what's with this ... I am not releasing this as a public hack. ...

let us have it !!! :D

@D: Thanks! :)

@Effendi: Well, this being the first project after the Native Search that I was thoroughly excited about, I wanted to get it out of the door as soon as possible! Hence, I didn't do much to make it usable by other people. Now I am just a little lazy, and don't want to go and tweak things server side unless enough people show interest in it (I'm trying to get Kirk to use this over his own little search and the Google AJAX Search... shhh! :D)

So basically, I want to have a definite number of users before I make it public since it'll need some more work! But I've counted your vote, so don't worry! :) Thanks!

Grate work dude! keep it up. I can't wait to see the hack...

Cheers

Thanks c0ldEnd! Me too! I wish people would comment faster and request the hack! :-P

Your blog is one of the best featured blogs i've seen. I specially like the commenting system. I wonder if i can get on like this... I would be glad if you release this hack too. ;)

Cheers again!

this is really cool. now, i don't know too much about hacks and stuff, but this is.... just plain cool.

and what;s with the commenting system! it's AWESOME! i haven't exactly noticed this before, considering i hardly visit this blog, but this work is blatantly outstanding.

congratulations! keep up the great work :D

Hehe! Then you should be visiting this more often, if not for the content, then the stuff I keep putting in! :P

Thanks for the words and for dropping by!

Wow, great work!
Of course I'm willing to use it on my blog if you would be kind enough to let us know how...

Congrats!
    Anonymous Anonymous, on Tue Jul 18, 04:10:00 PM  

Yeah...let us have another of your hacks.....:D




Leave your comment
You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

Or you can sign in as a different user.







Categories

Latest Updated

Subscriptions

Get My Blog In Your Mail!

Powered by Yutter

add this button to your site/blog as a link to this page! « link to me!
coComments my coComments
my claimID

subscribe to feed
Widgetize!
Google Reader add to google
del.icio.us The Last Word add to del.icio.us
Add to My Yahoo! add to yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines add to bloglines
add to msn
Add to netvibes add to Netvibes!
myFeedster add to feedster
Furl The Last Word add to furl


Archive Pages
January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006

Advertisement


Song Of The Day:




Creative Commons License Widgetize!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Aditya Mukherjee © 2005-06 | Powered by Blogger